Friday 11 April 2014




PURE MANIPURI SWEETS



KANGSUBI

When we talk of something sweet in Manipur, we are talking about the kangsubi,laloo,heingan,etc.
Kangsubi is a very special kind of sweets which everyone from kids to old aged loves to eat.The Meities have a belief that if we don't eat Kangsubi on Makar Sankranti, we will be born as a dog in our next birth(according to Hindu's belief in 7 incarnation).
Kangsubi is made with thoiding amuba (black sesame seeds) and sugar. Roasted thoiding is mixed with sugar syrup and shaped into balls or roundels or square. It is used as offerings to Gods and Goddesses in  various ceremony in Manipur. It is cheap and easily available in the market.
Kangsubi is one of my favourites. When I was kid I fought with my little brother to get bigger share ofKangsubi when my mom gave it to us. Till now I have not forgetten the taste. And one thing,when I was a kid I mispronounced it(not intentionally) its somewhat a bad word in Manipuri.


No comments:

Post a Comment